The Ruby Version Manager
If you’re doing Ruby and not using RVM, you simply need to be. There’s not only a big difference between Ruby 1.8.7 and 1.9, but you’ll likely want some different gemsets to use different Rails versions, including the new 3.x series. Here’s the most concise guide possible for setting up RVM. (Mac OS X instructions only)
- Uninstall any ruby installs from brew or ports. You can leave the system ruby alone, it feels good to keep it there. :-)
- Install RVM: bash < <(curl -sk https://rvm.beginrescueend.com/install/rvm)
- You may want to restart Terminal now to make sure your path is right.
- Run: rvm list known
- Install a Ruby. Here’s how you’d install 1.9.3: rvm install 1.9.3
- You can install other Rubies if you want. Pick the one you want to use with: rvm use 1.9.3
- Did it work? which ruby
Find out more here.